Hello and welcome to our UC Bicycle Users Group, UC BUG!
The purpose of a Bicycle Users Group at UC is to further promote and encourage cycling at UC. We have created UC BUG to provide a space for cycle support and cycling advocacy for our University community, both on and off campus.
As a member of UC BUG, you can have your say about cycling related issues on campus, as well as becoming involved in events, workshops and campaigns throughout the year. It’s also an awesome way to meet other riders, have your voice heard, and learn about the best routes in the city!
The aim of UC BUG is to:
- Represent cyclists at UC, both students and staff, alongside other existing cycling groups and clubs on campus
- Provide support to cyclists who use UC cycling facilities
- Encourage more members of our UC community to cycle, by raising the profile of cycling at UC
- Run events, social rides and gatherings, and hold maintenance and safety workshops for our cycling community
- Provide information about cycling facilities, services, infrastructure and routes at UC, and in the city.
The group is open to anyone at the University of Canterbury, especially those that cycle and who have an interest in the facilities provided on campus. Undergraduate and postgraduate students, academic and general staff are all welcome to join UC BUG and contribute towards the cycling community at UC.
To sign up for BUG officially, please fill in the form here. By doing this, you’ll receive occasional emails with information and updates on activities, workshops, events and social rides, as well as invitations to the next BUG meeting – straight to your inbox!
Otherwise, for all the latest news and discussions from UC BUG, keep your eyes on this blog page! If anyone has something they would like to share to this blog, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Sign up here, to stay in the loop with all things cycling on campus!
Update: We are celebrating spring, (and the start of Biketober), with a Bike Fest on campus!
What: Bike Fest: A cycle celebration! Come and meet other cyclists at UC, plus
- enjoy a free sausage sizzle and beanbags to relax on,
- on the spot cycle repairs and DIY workshop sessions thanks to Dr Bike and UC Bike,
- a chance to sign up to BUG (if you haven’t already!) or ask any questions about our Bicycle Users Group,
- make a pedal powered smoothie with the famous smoothie bike!
- Learn more about the best cycle ways and routes in the city,
- See other ways you can be involved with Biketober – Christchurch’s annual festival of cycling, which happens every October,
- Sign up and learn more about some cycling skills and confidence rides we plan to run thanks to Connie from Go Cycle Christchurch,
- Plus prizes, competitions and more!
When: Monday 1st October 2018, 12pm – 2pm
Where: C Block Lawn, Ilam Campus
Bring your bike if you need a repair, or just come along and meet us! We can’t wait.
As always – all the up-to-date event information can be found on our Facebook page under Events.
Update: We’re holding FREE cycle skills sessions for our UC students and staff, to get everyone safely on their bikes this spring.
Want to cycle with confidence? Want to improve your cycle skills, without any cars around?
Join the UC Sustainability Office and volunteers from Go Cycle Christchurch and UC Bike to practice your cycle skills with us. We want to see as many of our staff and students on their bikes this spring, but we want you to feel safe and confident while doing so!
We’ve teamed up with Go Cycle Christchurch to bring you their popular city-wide cycle skills and confidence sessions to our UC students and staff.
What: Cycle Skills Sessions (x2)
When: Friday 5th October
- 11am – 11.45am
- 12pm – 12.45pm
- Attend one session, or both!
Where: Ilam Fields Tennis Courts
Meet us at the Ilam Fields with your bike, and a helmet 10 minutes before the session time. If you don’t have access to a bike, please let us know ahead of time, and we can arrange a bike and a helmet for you.
Who: Anyone who wants to spend more time gaining confidence on a bike, away from the road. We aren’t able to safely teach anyone who has never ridden before – so we ask that you’re able to safely control yourself on a bike to participate in these sessions.
What will I learn? You will be able to practice your road cycling skills, such as cycling in a straight line, looking behind, hand signals, turning corners, overtaking and a controlled zig-zag.
We are limiting numbers to 15 riders per session, on a first in, first served basis. To avoid disappointment please let us know that you’re coming by by emailing email@example.com, and we will put you in touch with Connie from Go Cycle Christchurch.
What next? Depending on numbers and interest, UC Sustainability may be able to continue running these sessions semi-regularly. As your confidence grows, we would like to be able to progress the skills sessions to include some slow and easy road riding – for example along the city cycle ways or through some small intersections. Please email us if you would like to see this happen.
We can’t wait to see you there – keep peddling!